Friday, March 03, 2006

By the Shores of Silver Lake

That's right, folks, I am reading a Little House book. Actually, it is book number 5 in the series, and it is my current escape from reality. Motherkitty wants to borrow these books she got me for Christmas when I am done with them. At this rate, it won't be long....only 4 after this one. I only read when the baby is nursing to sleep and at night-time. Yeah, right. And if you believed that, I have a marshy patch of ground to sell you way down south. In my life I find I read in binges. Don't get me wrong. I am always reading something. But there are times when I start and won't stop until all the books are read...Apparently, some part of me finds this necessary at this time of sicky-poo kids, overtime working hubby, and general why can't I find any clean socks and underwear stress.

I think my little white Duchess cat is pregnant. I am not for sure, but I just couldn't take her to her special date with Vet when I found out they would spay anyway, even if she were pregnant. I just couldn't deal with that right now. Some would say she is just an animal, and that there are too many homeless animals out there. Well, I agree. She is just an animal, and there are too many homeless animals out there. Yes, and most of those that go to the Shelter don't come out alive. And yet, I cannot bring myself to take my cat in to abort baby kittens, even just the possibility of kittens.

So, here I am, with a very annoying Duchess cat-in-heat. I am keeping her in the house for a couple of weeks to see if she shows any pregnancy signs. If yes, then does anyone want a pretty little calico kitten? If not, then I will reschedule her Date with Destiny at the vet. Did I mention very annoying? Pawing the windows and climbing the front door annoying. Mewing and mweeping annoying. And yet, I would rather put up with that for a few weeks than live with myself after possibly killing baby kittens.



So, anyway, I thought I was talking about Little House on the Prairie....

but it morphed into Nines Lives on a Sunny Street.

What are you reading?

6 comments:

Motherkitty said...

I'm reading your blog entry.

Actually I'm reading "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd.

Motherkitty can do a physical exam on Saturday to determine the possibility of future Dutchess babies. If Dutchess is still whining to get out, the chances are she's just in heat and not pregnant.

Hope you are all feeling better this Friday morning.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Motherkitty is right...if Dutchess is still in heat and whining to get out then she is still searching for the right mate and is NOT with kittens yet.
I can understand your dilemma and that is why WE have so many cats. I also will not abort kittens. The way I see it Life is Life.

I'm reading The Best of Barbara Johnson. She is the founder of Spatula Ministries, an organization designed to peel parents off the ceiling with a spatula of love and start them on the road to recovery. She does this with a sense of humor and Biblical scriptures. In fact my post today came from her book.

tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

I just elected you the next Senator from Kentucky.

Motherkitty said...

Forgot to tell you. Hurry up and finish reading the series so I can read these lovely books again.

The next set I plan to buy is "The Borrowers." I love those books. I've found you're never too old to enjoy books you read when you were a kid.

The Four Bears in the Woods said...

I love Little House on the Prarie. We watch it everyday on T.V. I remember as a child checking those books out at the library and reading them. Baby Bear just had homework on Laura Ingalls Wilder this week and I told him I would love to have her books. Glad to hear someone else likes them too.

I can surely relate to your dilemma with the cat. We have two females, in the house away from the males, that are in heat right now also. They are driving us crazy! Everytime we go out the door the males are trying to come in and the females are trying to go out. When we let the males in sometimes we have to put the females in the bathroom and then they are pawing at the door trying to get out while the males are at the bathroom door howling. We are waiting for the chance to take them in to have them fixed, when we get the money together.. in the meantime I guess we will just have to put up with it. Mama Bear

Kerri said...

I'm reading your blog!!! :)Haven't had time to read anything much lately except blogs and a few magazines (gardening mostly, Birds and Blooms, Reader's Digest). Thanks for stopping by my blog recently. Sorry it's taken me so long to return the visit. Hope your kitty is not pregnant (although calico kittens are gorgeous!). 'The Secret Life of Bees' is a wonderful book! You should borrow it from your mom when she's finished with it.