Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Back Home/ Motherkitty update

The girls and I arrived home about 1 o'clock this afternoon. Sweet husband came and picked us up and brought us home.

It was really hard to leave while mom was still in the hospital. She is managing her pain fairly well, and she is doing some really good hard work. The physical therapists and nurses and the doctor are all setting challenging limits for her, but I know that she has her mind set to do what she needs to do to get back on her feet.

Today she said that she used her walker to get to the bathroom to get cleaned up this morning, with only dad's help. I was amazed. Yesterday and the day before (which was Monday, the day of the surgery), they wouldn't let her do anything without the physical therapist to assist her. I am so proud of her. She is not getting much sleep right now, and I am sure she can't wait to get home to her own bed. When I was there yesterday she walked from the bed to the hallway and back with her walker. Today she walked that far and then down the hall a little. She also practiced going up a step today too.

I think she said that one of the doctor's goals was to transition from the walker to a cane after about 3 weeks. Hopefully at 6 weeks, she will be released to go in a pool for water exercise. That would be the very end of May, and my birthday is in the beginning of June. I think she is already planning a pool party!


Cathy said...

I'am so happy to hear she is doing well...It sounds like she is right on target..I was also up with the walker by myself on day 2 post op..I'm sure she is having a hard time sleeping. Something about this surgery just doesn't let you sleep much. Maybe with them putting her in the CPM machine all hours of the day and night might also be keeping her awake.

This is a painful surgery, to be sure.. Does she have a recliner that she can sleep in at home?..I couldn't sleep in bed for the first 2 months. It is just very hard to get your leg comfortable enough to get any sleep in bed. Also, her Doc. probably will not want her using a pillow under her leg for support, as part of her therapy, will want her leg straightened. Some support under the ankle they usually will allow but not the knee. I hope she is one of the lucky ones that can sleep in bed when she gets home. 2-3 hours a night in a chair just isn't wnough rest.

I have been checking for updates about her. Please let her know I have been thinking of her.

Alipurr said...

she does have a recliner...yes, they have her on the cpm machine 2 times a day right now...she hopes to go home Thursday...thanks for your support

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

Thanks for the update, I have been watching for your post too. She'll be coming home tomorrow...that's good...she'll like that.

The Four Bears in the Woods send their love and are praying for an uneventful recovery for Motherkitty. Their computer is down and they asked me to pass this along.

Suzanne also wishes Motherkitty well and will also be praying for her quick recovery. She is here right now and sends her love.

susan said...

Thanks for the update, sounds like she has a long road ahead of her. Tell her HI from all of us out here in cyberspace. Susan

bornfool said...

Great news. I'm glad she's improving.

doubleknot said...

Great to hear Motherkitty is doing so well. It is great she is getting to go home. Tell her I miss her comments on the blogs I visit, doubleknot